When you think of women superheroes who do you think of? Who would you like to be? Write your choice in the comments below and tell us why!
- Supergirl has superhuman strength, the power to fly, and super speed among many other superpowers.
- Black Widow is skilled in many forms of martial arts and is an accomplished gymnast. She doesn’t have superpowers but has built up her strength through hard work, will power, and training.
- Batgirl has a photographic memory and a tool belt that would make the biggest tool freak drool. She is also an amazing athlete and possesses impressive acrobatic skills.
- Mrs. Incredible, or Elastigirl, as she is known to her enemies, has the superpower of elasticity and shape shifting making her extremely flexible in all situations.
- Wonder Woman, probably the most iconic of all female superheroes, has superior strength, speed, and agility. She has the ability to fly, is trained in hand-to-hand combat, also has some really cool tools and even has the ability to talk to animals.
Here at Becoming More, one of our core values is Courage; but we may not be talking about courage in the way you think. Most of us think of someone who is courageous as a person who never shows weakness or vulnerability. Yet- our core value is stated this way…
We are women who are becoming more courageous in our pursuit of authenticity and vulnerability.
We don’t want to put on a pretty face and press on through life as if everything is fine, we are fine, our family is fine, our kids are fine, our job is fine, and nothing is wrong. That’s a lie. It’s not fine all of the time. The reality is that even these courageous superheroes have weaknesses they have to confront. You have weaknesses, vulnerabilities, and needs you need to acknowledge as well. Let’s become more courageous in our willingness to show our weaknesses so we can show His strength working in us.
2 Corinthians 4:7 says, “But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.”
I don’t think there is a superhero called, “Jars of Clay Girl.” But that’s what we’re called to be. We’re not called to be super ourselves because that would distract others from seeing the super nature of God through us. We are simply broken and cracked jars of clay, lit up by God’s power and illuminating His glory in the world.
Each time you’re tempted to show your strength to someone today, take a breath pray this breath prayer. On your inhale pray, “God, show Your strength.” On your exhale pray, “through my weakness."