Yesterday we discussed society’s view on kindness and how kindness doesn’t always take top priority in day-to-day living. Today we’re going to look at what God’s Word has to say about being kind to each other. Let’s look at Ephesians 4:32 (NLT) which says, “Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.” The Bible lays out exactly how we are to treat people using three specific points in Ephesians 4:32:
· Be kind to all of God’s people. This means regardless of differing viewpoints, past mistakes, and societal status we are called to show the same kindness Christ has shown us. Just think about the differences between God and us! Think about the differences in our viewpoints, thoughts, and status! Yet, even with all of those differences, God still shows us loving kindness. We are called to show that same kindness to all people.
· Be tenderhearted. Take some time and put yourself in the shoes of another and think about all angles of a situation. By showing sympathy toward others we’re setting the tone for Christs’ love. God floods us with grace on a daily basis and we are called to do the same for all God’s people.
· Forgive one another. This is a big component in showing kindness. When was the last time you were in a situation where you didn’t want to be around someone because of the way they wronged you? It’s very difficult to show kindness to those we aren’t fond of when we are being dragged down by a heavy heart. The best remedy in these situations is forgiving just as Christ has forgiven us. Every sin we commit is a rebellion against Christ and He forgives us over and over. The least we can do is return that same forgiveness to others.
Take some time today and read over Ephesians 4:32 during your quiet time. Write the verse on a post-it note, in your journal, or even in lipstick on your bathroom mirror. Pray for God to reveal what He wants revealed to you in this Bible verse and allow The Holy Spirit to consume you with His love.
Kindness challenge (pick one or both):
· Buy someone’s lunch – you can provide a gift card or “pay it backward” (go through a drive-thru and after you pay for your food you pay for the person in the car behind you.
· Buy flowers for a friend “just because.”